IN THE NEWS
- You must provide responses in at least 5 categories
- You must provide your name, address and email address
- Only one ballot per person
This marker reads:
"The expansion of the Federal government and the increase of the population in the mid-20th century led to the dramatic changes to the region. After the closure of the trolley lines in Arlington County, buses were the primary means of public transportation.
In the mid-1960s, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) originally proposed a rapid rail system that had two lines in Arlington County, one line following I-66 to Fairfax and another line servicing the Pentagon, National Airport, and Crystal City. Arlington County officials, however, successfully lobbied for the proposed I-66 line to follow Wilson Boulevard and Fairfax Drive instead (the former route of the WA&FC trolley line) to stimulate development along the aging corridors.
The Ballston Metro Station, located four blocks from here on Fairfax Drive, opened in 1979 and transformed the community from small shops and businesses to a thriving urban village."It's always interesting to learn the history behind our community and the new Marymount campus found and interesting way of incorporating this into the overall design.
The Blue Goose
"A colorful example of modernist architecture stood on this site from 1963 to 2015. Its geometrically arranged, polychromatic blue metal panels earned it the local nickname of “The Blue Goose.” Designed to take advantage of its corner lot, the orientation of the building allowed its two main blocks to meet at the intersection of the North Glebe Road and Fairfax Drive.
Highlighted by a central gentle inverse curve, the facade featured metal hopper windows surmounted by fixed single-light windows. Narrow metal mullions or thicker metal pilasters divided these windows and ran seamlessly between each story to enhance the verticality of the building. Upon completion of the Blue Goose, the developer, M.T. Broyhill and Sons, moved its offices into the building."If you haven't been by the new buildings yet, we encourage you to stop by 1000 Glebe Road, Arlington VA and see the most recent edition to Ballston. -The Shooshan Company
- Friday, June 30 – Revelator Hill
- Saturday, July 1 – Cissa Paz
- Sunday, July 2 – Sligo Creek Stompers
- Friday, July 7 – Los Gallos Negros
- Saturday, July 8 – King Soul
- Sunday, July 9 – Akua Allrich
- Friday, July 14 – Company Danzante
- Saturday, July 15 – Chopteeth Afropunk Big Band
- Sunday, July 16 – Kenny Rittenhouse
- Friday, July 21 – Little Red & The Renegades
- Saturday, July 22 – Elikeh
- Sunday, July 23 – Little Bit of Blues
- Friday, July 28 – Chieck Hamala Diabate
- Saturday, July 29 – Elena y Los Fulanos
- Sunday, July 30 – Cristylez Bacon
- Friday, August 4 – Dupont Brass
- Saturday, August 5 – WSC Avant Bard
- Sunday, August 6 – The Scotch Bonnets
- Friday, August 11 – Rico Amero Sr.
- Saturday, August 12 – Signature Theatre Cabaret
- Sunday, August 13 – National Chamber Ensemble
- Sunday, August 27 – “Speed” The Magician
- Sunday, September 10 – Mystic Drumz
- Sunday, September 17 – The Great Zucchini
website states, "His talents and dedication to Ballston have strengthened the network in our community and have enhanced the neighborhood aesthetically and intellectually." [caption id="attachment_1444" align="alignnone" width="592"] Photo courtesy of Ballston BID.[/caption] [caption id="attachment_1443" align="alignnone" width="593"] Photo courtesy of Ballston BID.[/caption] The Shooshan Company would like to congratulate all of the award recipients and thank Ballston BID and everyone involved for such a wonderful evening and event. References: Annual Meeting & Best of Ballston Awards. (2017). Ballston BID. Source: http://www.ballstonbid.com/annual-meeting-best-ballston-awards Ballston BID Facebook. (2017). Facebook. Source: https://www.facebook.com/BallstonBID/
#bestofballston Property Manager Award winner is Cheryl Dennis with Peidmont Realty for all her great work for Ballston tenants & the BID— BallstonBID (@BallstonBID) June 21, 2017