As the CEO and President of the Shooshan Company, John Shooshan is responsible for directing and implementing the strategic objectives and goals of the company. His active and dedicated leadership is vital in generating business opportunities and fostering community relationships. John’s experience and in-depth knowledge provide guidance for the shared goals of the Shooshan Company team and its partners.
John continually strives to assure that the company presents a strong, positive image to all relevant stakeholders. In 2008, the Shooshan Company completed the Liberty Center North project, a 1 million square foot, mixed-use project consisting of office, residential and retail space. Today, Mr. Shooshan is leading the Shooshan Company in the completion of the Liberty Center development; Liberty Center South, a 5.35 acre mixed-use project, consists of about 1.2 million SF of density among a significant two acre open park space in the heart of Ballston. In addition, under John’s leadership the Shooshan Company recently won Arlington County Board approval for the redevelopment of Marymount University’s Ballston campus.
John founded the Shooshan Company in 1986. In 2007, he helped form Kodiak Realty Services, LLC by combining the property management and engineering services of the Shooshan Company and Fred Schnider Investment Group to create a property management firm to focus on the developed properties. Previously, he served as Mid-Atlantic Regional Partner for Faison & Associates, Inc., Vice President of Development for Cadillac Fairview Urban Development, Inc., now known as Brandywine Properties. John began his career at the Oliver Carr Company, which became Carr America, where he was the Director of Marketing and Leasing. In these capacities, he gained extensive experience in development, financing, property management and acquisitions.
By far, John’s proudest achievement is his family. He and his wife Marcia have been happily married for 40 years and have two children and two grandchildren. Their daughter Kelly serves as the Chief Operating Officer of the Shooshan Company, and son Kevin is the Director of Leasing and Marketing. Both attended Georgetown University and have followed in their parent’s footsteps in multiple ways, including their dedication to the family business, community involvement and charity work.
- Bachelor of Science from the University of Delaware.
In the Community
- George Mason University Arlington Advisory Board Member, 2011 – Present.
- Arlington Community Foundation – Board of Trustees, 2009 – Present.
- Co-chair of the Arlington Leadership Consortium of the 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness with Arlington County Board Member Walter Tejada, 2008 – Present.
- Member of Lambda Alpha, the Honorary Society for the Advancement of Land Economics, 2008 – Present.
- Member of the John Carroll Society, 1996 – Present.
- Member of the Urban Land Institute, 1987 – Present.
- Urban Land Institute Washington District Council Executive Committee member, 2001 – 2002.
- Landon School Trustee, 1995 – 2001.
- Former Ballston Partnership President.
- Former Ballston-Virginia Square Partnership Board Member.
- Honored by the Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) with the 2012 APAH Affordable Housing Award for his determination to end homelessness in Arlington.
- Honored with the Outstanding Philanthropist Award by the Association of Fundraising Professionals at the 2013 National Capital Philanthropy Day.